Thursday, September 16, 2010

Broccoli, Carrots and Sun Glasses

In the evenings, after all attendees at a Sanskrit camp were rejuvenated with some bhajans sung with gusto, younger minds were usually separated from older minds so that older minds could listen un-interrupted to some thought-stimulating talks. With a lot of gusto of my own I decided to treat the young minds to some thought-stimulating talk of their own! Not used to dealing with children on an hour-to-hour basis, my lack of familiarity with their vocabulary spectrum showed up in a very amusing way when I inadvertently used the word 'perspective'. Here is a snippet of conversation that followed.

Young curious mind (YCM): What is 'perspective'?

Me: Hm... Have you seen a 3D movie?

YCM: What is a 3D movie?

Me: Hmm... Have you worn sun glasses?

YCM: What is sun glasses?

Me; Hmmm... Have you seen your father wear dark glasses when he goes out in the Sun?

YCM: Oh! When my dad was young, he did not eat broccoli or carrots. So, he has to wear glasses now …

Once realization dawned on me about what carrots and broccoli had to do with sun glasses (he indeed was a cool kid - he had taken the Sun out!), I was thoroughly amused and helpless with laughter.

My next sane question elicited an yelled out 'yes'. The smart person that I was, I said “You do not have to yell! I ate my broccoli and carrots when young, so my hearing is intact!” Pleased that I had handled smartness with smartness, I was about to proceed when another young curious mind piped up “If you ate your broccoli and carrots, why did you need glasses in class to read a book?” - I had had to confess to not being able to read some small letters, and switched to a story with relatively bigger letters.

Now I understand why others entrusted with the task of tending to the young minds chose physical play-time to wear out the young imps rather than attempt any thought-stimulating talk! All said, I am very proud of the eventual rapt attention I was able to elicit out of them!!!


2 comments:

Swarna said...

Ha ha! Good that you did not give up! Rest assured you'll be assigned this task at every similar camp!

Anonymous said...

You are indeed brave to take on little ones. I would have run the other direction.